How To Accomplish And Sing Softly/Quietly
Achieving soft singing is not a cake walk. It is a challenge for even professional singers. You need to practice tips and exercises for several times until you get the desired result that you are looking for.
How To Sing Softly?
To achieve soft singing, you need to ensure that you are using your diaphragm as your breathing muscle. While you hold back air, you need to tighten your abdominal wall and buttocks.
This hugely helps you to control your air. When you sing soft, you will undergo fewer vibrations in your vocal cords. These vibrations occur when air hits the vocal bands, creating motion while generating sound.
How To Sing Soft Notes?
To sing soft notes, you need to relax your body and release the tension in various body organs. Certain things sound silly, but still a singer cannot ignore the facts. The tongue and lips hold most of the tension and this result in distorted tone while singing.
Hence, you need to relax your body and release tension in different areas of your body; one after the other and this process may take 7 to 8 minutes.
Let’s learn how to do it:
- Relax your complete body and focus on how you release tension from your shoulder and neck area. For this, you can lie down, stand or sit, based on your comfortability.
- Practice how to breathe from your belly. For this, you need to use your diaphragm as your breathing muscle. Inhale and exhale deeply and slowly throughout your exercise period.
- Next, you need to relax and release tension from your lips with about 3 to 6 lip trills.
- Now, it’s time to release tension from your tongue trills while breathing from your belly.
Once you feel that your body has relaxed well, it’s now time to practice exercises that help you sing quietly.
How To Practice Singing Quietly?
- Rest your body in standing posture such that all your singing muscles and spine are lined up.
- Unlock your knees and release tension from your body.
- Inhale such that you expand your waistline, keeping your chest high and quiet.
- Now, sing a soft hum by making use of an easy pitch.
- Now, make a humming sound as “m” and continue till its stable and then add “ee” sound as if you are singing “meee”.
- Keep toggling between the two hums “m” and “ee” for several times while ensuring that the sound is stable and controlled every time.
How To Sing High Notes Smoothly?
Singing high notes smoothly is a difficult for many singers. However, if you practice certain exercises and follow some tips, then it is not a difficult task to achieve soft singing. To sing high notes smoothly, remember that your neck and tongue trills are completely relaxed from tension, breathe from your belly by making use of diaphragm as your breathing muscle, relax your neck and shoulders, line up your spine with your singing muscles, open your mouth in a rounded shape while singing, and ensure that your tongue doesn’t bunch.
How To Make Voice Softer For Singing?
To sing softly, you should not only prepare your body, but also your voice. Warm it up by humming softly five notes up and five notes down. Let’s see how to do it:
- Different and good soft singing songs
- Listen to songs that rely on soft singing pattern and practice them several times till you are satisfied with the result.
- When you select a song, select the phrases that demand soft singing and practice them till you sound softer.
- Select a common song like, “Happy Birthday To You” and practice singing various phrases softly.
- When you hum a sound, add a vowel to its end to sound softer, like, “hummme-hummmo-hummeh-hummah”
Summing up altogether
One of the toughest challenges for a singer is to sing softly while maintaining melodious voice. For this, keep all your tensions aside and say hello to silky soft singing.
You will need more skill and controlling power over the air you breathe. Follow proper diet, stay fit, practice exercises that help you achieve soft singing and above all, always be positive.